Hi! I am SO glad you are here! My name is Dana Kramaroff and I write books for young people!
If you REALLY knew me, you’d know…
- I am a mom to three awesome kids! My husband and I live with them in the eastern part of Pennsylvania.
- I am a teacher of fifth grade readers and writers and my classroom is decorated with gnomes!
- I have loved being creative since I was little! My mom, dad, and many amazing teachers allowed me to let my personality shine through arts, crafts, and writing. (The carpet in my basement had A LOT of glitter in it!)
- I have a big brother and he is one of the best people I know!
- I am a collector of many colorful pens, books, and stickers!
- I keep a Writer’s Notebook and there is nothing better than filling a whole one and starting a new one!
- In high school, I was voted Miss Congeniality!
- I did an internship at a dinosaur museum and got to work in the paleontology lab on actual dinosaur fossils!
- I am a total geek for anything personalized with my name! “Dana” was NEVER on keychains, pencils, or mugs and I always hated that!
- From the time I was in fourth grade, I had a knee condition and was not allowed to do any physical activity besides walking and swimming. I wasn’t even allowed to attend P.E. with my class! It made me feel really different and left out of a lot of things. I had knee surgery on both of my knees the summer before seventh grade and that healed me up!
- Quote: “It’s okay if you fall apart sometimes. Tacos fall apart and we still love them.”
- Dessert: A sundae with peanut butter sauce, hot fudge, and a lot of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups on it!
- Holiday: Valentine’s Day! There’s something so fun about decorating paper bags with paper hearts and watching my family and students fill them up!
- Animal: Doggos! I don’t have a dog right now but I am obsessed with watching cute and funny dog videos! When I meet a dog on the street, I immediately fall in love and if I could snuggle them right there on the sidewalk, I would do that in a heartbeat!
- Foods: Pizza with fresh mushrooms, sushi, and french fries!
- Dinosaur: Parasaurolophus
- Act of kindness: Painting rocks with positive messages and placing them around my town for people to find!
I love books!
I started writing books, for children, in 2015! I dreamed of having my book in the hands of the students I work with every single day, but most importantly, in the hands of my own children!
Reading has ALWAYS been a huge part of my life. Trips to the book store, school library, and the book fair were so special to me. As a child, I read a lot of different things! I loved the Baby-Sitters Club series by Ann M. Martin, I owned almost every ‘Family Circus’ comic book by artist Bill Keane, and I saved up my money to buy magazines, especially ones about horror movies!
When I wanted to write books for middle graders, I read a TON of books for middle graders! It just so happened that my oldest daughter turned ten the year I really wanted to write books. We both read so many amazing ones!
Some books that I cherished from that time and since:
- COUNTING BY 7S by Holly Goldberg Sloan
- BECAUSE OF MR. TERUPT by Rob Buyea
- THE PARKER INHERITANCE by Varian Johnson
- DEAR SISTER by Alison McGhee
- HOPE IN THE HOLLER by Lisa Lewis Tyre
- FRONT DESK by Kelly Yang
- BREATHING UNDERWATER by Sarah Allen
- OPERATION DO-OVER by Gordon Korman
- THE MIDNIGHT CHILDREN by Dan Gemeinhart
- THE WAY I SAY IT by Nancy Tandon
- FISH IN A TREE by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
- ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
I also adore novels-in-verse and the way there is so much emotion on every page! Here are a few of my favorites:
- THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY by Laura Shovan
- FORGET ME NOT by Ellie Terry
- CROSSOVER by Kwame Alexander
- STARFISH by Lisa Fipps
- ALL OF ME by Chris Baron
- RHYME SCHEMER by K.A. Holt
- EVERY SHINY THING by Cordelia Jensen and Laurie Morrison
- ALONE by Megan Freeman
- RED, WHITE, AND WHOLE by Rajani LaRocca
- LOVE THAT DOG by Sharon Creech
- HATE THAT CAT by Sharon Creech